Friday, January 2, 2009

Goodbye Texas, Goodbye Grandmas

Tonight is our last night in Texas. We are in the DFW area. We stopped to visit with friends in the area on our way home to Iowa. It was a really strange day. We woke up to learn Cliff's grandma has passed on. It was a shock in a way. I had hoped Cliff would get to see her one more time and he hoped that as well. She went peacefully though and we are thankful for that. She was a special person to us for different reasons. She rarely had an unkind word and she was so fun to be with.

So as I was saying goodbye to my grandma in Austin this morning, Cliff's grandma was on her way out of this world. I spent New Year's Eve with my 95 year old Grandma Maria. It was hard to say goodbye to her today. I hugged her, knowing it could be the last time I see her. I say that everytime I see her. It is an inside family joke. She is going to outlive us all. At least that seems easier than saying goodbye for real. Death is not something new to to our family. And it never seems to get easier. But at least we had some warning that it was coming with this loss.

I miss my family and friends already. It was a really great time. Now when we get home Cliff will get to be reacquainted with his family again. Losses always bring a family together to remember the loved one and for that we are grateful too. Cliff's grandma, Wade, should be celebrated and remembered with joy.

It was a warm and sunny Texas day, and we felt a lot of love from friends and family to send us off. Life could be worse.

Happy New Year and love to all...

~Heather xoxoxox

No comments: