Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Homemade jet engines

So I'm sitting down relaxing with the kids watching a DVD and I look over at the couch and saw the airplane in photo 1. At some point during the movie Camden had strategically placed two large pieces of white chalk under the wings of one of his airplanes. I asked him if those were his jet engines. He nodded yes! Not too shabby for a 25 1/2 month old child. I hope Cliff sees this blog tomorrow. I know he'll laugh! Camden is an airplane fanatic. Last night we went to the library for more books and movies. There was a non-fiction airplane book he loved that he did not want to hand over to the librarian to check out. I finally convinced him she would give it back.

People who say kids who don't go to preschool or school will be idiots don't know my kids. I couldn't hold them back if I tried! And I know that is the case with lots of other kids who have parents who are loving and care about their child's interests and hobbies. Let a child live his dreams and he will learn all he needs to know to be successful and self-sufficient. No child or human wants to fail. Some of the greatest scholars and thinkers that ever lived spent each day learning, discovering, and/or inventing new things. And other great creative thinkers told wonderful stories with words or music. I'm not afraid to trust my children or to let them think for themselves. They are bright and intelligent despite the fact that they could care less about learning their ABC's and other monotonous lessons at the moment. They'd rather talk about real world issues and learn things that pertain to their passion filled lives right now. I imagine my children will learn algebra before they ever see a math book and learn to read novels before they learn their ABC's. Millions of others before us through the ages have seen these everyday miracles some say are impossible without public or private schooling.

I'm grateful to all those who have written and shared their lives with others about unschooling. Seeing how well their kids turned out has made such a difference for thousands of now unoppressed children.

Here are a few words of wisdom I want to ponder on today:

There are no failures--only learners. Buckminster Fuller

Fear is never a reason for quitting. It is only an excuse. N.V. Peale

Everything that is done in the world is done by hope. M.L. King

Fear is the thief of dreams. Anonymous

2 comments:

zamozo said...

Hey Heather, how you feeling? Camden's jet is adorable! I thought those pieces of chalk were marshmallows when I first saw them! I like your words of wisdom to ponder. Hang in there!

Heather's Moving Castle said...

This week I'm feeling a little overwhelmed and tired. My body is still adjusting to so many changes, including the darkness of winter. But other than that I can't complain! Cliff has to work this weekend but he'll be home for our birthdays.

Camden is a doll! He never stops. I can't wait to get some energy back. My guys have been so patient with me.