Friday, October 10, 2008

Education Reform Books

This is one of the most interesting websites I have come across in awhile. It has a Washington D.C. address and is the business is called World Prosperity, Ltd.

It has a wonderful compilation of quotes and summaries from some of my very favorite school reform authors, like John Holt and John Taylor Gatto.

Some of the headings leading to book summaries:


If You Want to be Rich and Happy: Don’t Go to School

No Contest: The Case Against Competition by Alfie Kohn (1986)


Learning All The Time


Punished by Rewards: The Trouble with Gold Stars, Incentive Plans, A's, Praise, and Other Bribes
How Children Fail


Cliff is writing a paper about homeschooling for his English class and asked me to help him gather some information. I hit the mother load here! Unfortunately, I doubt he'll be able to use a lot of this information. He has one book from another class to read, Spanish homework up the wazoo, and lots of other hoops to jump through. How is it possible for him to have any free time?: Get things done as quick as possible. He knows real learning doesn't take place in schools. So he is just doing what he has to do to get by. Does that sound familiar?

You gotta love those education reform gurus! I think they're onto something! Do you think that's why so many people now call education reform homeschooling or unschooling. Hmmm, I wonder?

I think the next step would be college and university reform.

Have a great weekend all!!!

~Heather
xoxox

http://www.educationreformbooks.net/







No comments: