Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Full speed ahead


Every day seems to fly by here. I have many moments I want to treasure and some I want to forget. But I am growing and learning as a person, just like my boys.

I am having a hard time just being lately, but they are keeping me grounded. When I do yoga in the mornings it helps too, but I am having a hard time getting up early. The kids and I sleep in while Cliff is in school. So, I do whatever meditation I can. Here are a few highlights of late. Some of the best moments were not captured:



Cliff and Holden playing Age of Empires. Holden knows how to play it by himself. He is so cool. I love hearing about his strategies. He loves playing Roblox.com with a young friend on-line, and his Gamecube is fun too.
















This is one of many cocoons we found hanging near a sycamore tree at a park. We brought one home to see what will emerge. At first glance they look like just mere dead leaves. Holden spotted the cocoons. He amazes me with his ability to see things I overlook.

















Just the starting of a yummy recipe a friend gave me: eggplant, zucchini, and sweet potato slices with Parmesan and basil between slices. Then I grilled in foil until tender (45 mins. or so) or it can go in the oven for an hour on 350 degrees.
















Camden and Shadow cuddling (Camden asked me to take this photo). Shadow hardly ever has accidents anymore. She loves my guys! We've been taking her on long hikes with us. She is awesome. If she has an accident it is because we overfed her or didn't walk her. She prefers to go potty on walks, not in the backyard every time.
















Camden looking at skulls and animal pelts before a talk about Iowa mammals given by a park ranger. I was enthralled and Camden got bored since he got to see everything before the talk. Holden stayed home with his dad because he had been outside most of the day with Camden and I. Now he wanted to be with his dad. It was a very interesting presentation. I wish I had it on video. I loved learning about all the bobcats in Iowa and other neat mammals.















Camden had fun playing the trees before the talk about mammals.















The best part of the night was seeing many deer eating from a distance on our way home, and the sunset was magnificent. I had to stop at a safe area to get some shots.
















The boys playing together. Something they do a lot more of now that their not-at-home friends are busy during the day, and Cliff is busy with college classes and homework over half the day.
















Some shots not on camera: us picking apples today; Cliff fixing my windshield wipers after a week of getting different parts to try; Holden playing a rented game for his Gamecube and us trying to help him figure it out w/o instructions--he was so proud when he'd figure something out; Holden training Shadow; Holden and Camden eating ice cream bars in the backyard--Camden naked (well I do have a photo, but I'm not sharing).

Side notes: I am finally getting over a sinus infections thanks to a homemade neti pot (water bottle). I ordered a neti pot on Vitacost, but it won't be here for a few days. I can't believe how much better I feel. The coughing was driving me insane.

I ordered a new book for myself that I knew I couldn't get at the library. I am loving it: "Raising our Children, Raising Ourselves." My friend Alex P. raved about it. Thanks, Alex! I have put my other books on hold because it is so good. If you haven't read it, run to Amazon.com to read the reviews. It is one of those must reads no matter how old your kids are.

Happy trails, friends!

~Heather xoxox

1 comment:

Heidi Snavley said...

BEAUTIFUL sunset!! That is absolutely incredible! We get the hot pink and purple but I don't think I've seen much of the bright orange.