Sunday, November 26, 2006

Life's little mysteries




So what do you get when you cut open a pomegranate? You're looking at it! I've been trying to get up the nerve to try one of these for about a year or so. I think we paid at least $2 for this one. It was the size of a grapefruit and the peel is much like a grapefruit. It grows on trees and once it is cut open it almost looks like a tomato. There are clusters of seeds inside once the outer peel is removed. Next time we buy one I won't slice it, I'll just try to peel it like an orange after using a knife to make a slit.

Both boys liked it and Cliff even tried it. It was messy but fun. Holden used a toothpick to hold a cluster of seeds to keep his fingers from staining. The seeds are covered with a juicy citrus like fruit. The seeds can be eaten.

Life is full of mysteries and new things to try. Pomegranates are messy and expensive, but it was fun to see and taste what was inside that mysterious fruit!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

We used to love eating those as a kid in southern California. I don't now why I havent thought to get them for my kids, I wonder if they'd even try it...

Heather's Moving Castle said...

I was so surprised my boys liked it. But they like mangos, avocados, and artichokes as well. I figured it was worth buying one just to see what was inside.