Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Funny little boys

It turned out to be a perfect fall day. The weather was heavenly after several gloomy and rainy days. And the little neighbor boy we watch after school had an early out today so the boys and I met friends at the park right after lunch. I was able to socialize with other fun loving moms and I enjoyed being outside!! Holden and his neighbor buddy and Marc were as thick as theives after a few hours. We stayed most of the afternoon until they were all very tired. Marc and Holden spent a good deal of the time wrestling in the sand or on the grass. I asked him tonight if he enjoyed that and he said yes, it was fun. He smiled about it. And as always Camden fell asleep as soon as we pulled out of the parking lot to go home. He adores being around kids of all ages and climbing non-stop. This time he hung upside down on one of the climbing structures with older girls and boys. Girls are drawn to him and he loves it! Unfortunately, he spit in one girl's face a few times so we have to work on that!

Now some things I want to remember about tonight. Holden was very tired and went bed before Camden. Camden hung out with Cliff and I. Well mostly me. I sang him a few songs and read him a few books in bed. Then we got up and I went to get on-line for a bit. He followed me and starting trying to sing one of the songs I like to sing to him, "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot." He had the most angelic look on his face and his baby voice melted me. He could have asked me for the moon at that moment and I would have said, "and the stars too, dear?"

Then we headed for the kitchen for a snack. I gave him a few options and he settled for cheese. I cut him a piece and then I put the cheese away. I was lost in my own thoughts or something for a minute and wasn't watching what he was doing. So what I saw next surprised me and showed me how much he is changing, learning, and wanting to do more grown up things. As I walked out of the kitchen and past the dining room table he was standing on a chair at the table with the cheese grater. He had his piece of cheese and started to grate it. He verbalized to me what he was doing and I was awestruck. Whatever possessed him to go into the cabinet and get the cheese grater is beyond me. He had never used it before or asked to use it. Of course, I use it all the time and Holden helps me grate cheese at the table from time to time when needed.

A little while later he asked me for Holden's legos. I tried to persuade him into bedtime. He still wasn't ready and insisted on the legos. I thought they were in Holden's room and he showed me where they were in my (our) bedroom. So I put the bucket of legos down and he was happy. I went to finish reading some blogs on-line and he came in to have me make him a lego plane. A big plane he said handing me a few lego pieces. So I made him the best plane I could with what he handed me. A few minutes later he suggested it was time for bed, in not so many words. And within a few minutes he went to sleep next to me in "normal" A.P. fashion! It was a happy day in my world.

Pictures: Playing at Beaverdale Park--Camden with an orange slice; Marc, Alex, and Holden comtemplating their next move; Camden and friends upside down; Rachael and Ana.

No comments: