Thursday, August 24, 2006

Thank heaven for little boys!

Yesterday we spent most of the day outside at Raccoon River Park visiting with friends. Cliff was able to go and it was one of the best days on earth. None of us really wanted it to end. Camden was on a high all day and didn't seem to notice he didn't take a nap. He was bopping all over the park playing with kids, his dad, brother, Marc, Ana, and Lily and anyone else around. They played in the water sprayers, slides, swings, lake, sand, man-made stream, and ate yummy food from the party we were at.

I'm getting a little sentimental because one of the best summers of my life is coming close to an end. I guess it just gives me something to look forward to next summer: The second best summer I'll ever have!

The party (Not Back to School Party) we attended was a big hit. Cliff was able to meet and talk to a lot of other unschoolers. We left in a great mood. The people and kids are so easy to get along with and friendly. Of course it helps that we have a lot in common. We all love being with and learning daily with our kids. These parents are gentle and kind. There was no yelling or spanking the whole day. No threatening or insulting either. I can't think of many days in my childhood when I attended a party with anyone in my family when I was not insulted or shamed in some way. Times have really changed for the better for those who are looking for more peaceful ways to parent; or who have stumbled onto it as we have.

We half expected both boys to fall asleep in the car. If the drive had been longer they would have. When we got home we hung out and had fun for an hour or so more. A few minutes later Camden was on Cliff's knee watching a short video and Camden fell asleep. It was so adorable Cliff asked me to take a picture. It was a perfect ending to a picture perfect day! Thank heaven for little boys!!

No comments: