Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Hanging out with friends


We enjoyed another picture perfect day outside. I didn't get photos of any of the other boys at the park. They must have hid when they saw me coming with my camera.

Today Holden and Camden were in heaven with all the adorable and sweet girls at the unschooling play group gathering at Beaverdale Park in Des Moines. All the kids are awesome! Holden wanted to play frisbee and the kids were more than gracious to play. They made fairy houses with bark and I am not sure what else. And Sarah said Holden found a perfect cradle for a fairy bed.

Holden seemed very pleased with how the day went. He is always one of the youngest at these gatherings and doesn't always feel comfortable. Something clicked today and he didn't want to leave the park. Neither did Camden. I had to chase him and say I was leaving before he realized I was serious. They both fell asleep in the car on the way home. And they woke up a while later in good moods. I was pleased because sometimes Camden wakes up not so smiley from these car naps.

I love how these older kids can play with kids of all ages and include them in the fun! It made visiting with the other moms a joy for me and my kids left with a more relaxed and energized mom.

Another thing, I wish I could have spent more time talking to Sarah about her life. She was one of the most fascinating, easy going, and confident 8th graders I ever met. She said her oldest brother (18) is in Egypt for the summer. I hope to see more of these friends next week at the "Not Back to School Picnic."

My kids gain more than I can express and possibly know from these kids and moms. I sense a certain peace in Holden and Camden tonight. I know part of it was from the TLC these kids and moms gave them. It was more than just contentment in the belly from all the yummy snacks!

No comments: