Thursday, August 17, 2006

Summer romances


Camden is not even two---BUT I am already wondering how I am going to keep the girls away? Not that I will try or be able to. The reason I am thinking about this is because he is a chic magnet. When we were at Hamilton's Pool Nature Preserve in Austin, TX, he and a little girl (18 months) were hugging a few minutes after they met. And more recently at our yearly neighborhood weekend festival this little girl in pigtails (see photo) came and sat down next to him. He scooted down away from her and she kept scooting closer until he gave in. Then they started playing with her babydoll. Then they started fighting over the doll. He's way too young to have girls chasing him, right?

This summer at the pool teenage girls and little girls of all ages ohhh'd and ahhhh'd over him saying he was so cute. Girls were fighting over who was going to hold him next. Now it is cute. But in a few years I know it won't be funny for either of us. Will they be chasing him and trying to kiss him? Will they be begging for marriage proposals? My own sister, Heidi, begged to keep him when he was only a few months old because he was so adorable. It was then that I knew I was headed down an unknown path. I guess I should feel fortunate my boys are handsome and well-liked.

At least, if I never have a daughter (so far I don't and may not have more kids) I can see we'll always have girls around. I'll get used to it and I think girls are cool. This is just little weird for a mom who always thought the biggest concern little girls had would be boy cooties. I know I am raising kind and honest boys whom I hope will be able to talk to me openly. So I know they won't run off and elope anytime soon...not at least without a hug goodbye! (The photo on the right is of Camden and a friend, Ana last summer.)

A side note, Cliff is coming home on Saturday afternoon from the Navy reserve's training in California. We miss him terribly! He is pretty beat up, tired, and ready to fly home. I'm not sure how much I will be able to post here while he is home. My days and nights will hopefully be spent enjoying him before he takes off again on his next traveling job. He's had several job offers this week. That's good news and means we'll have more income. And it means at some point our whole family will be traveling. We'll keep you posted on that! For now, enjoy all your summer romances! We will!

2 comments:

zamozo said...

Too cute!!! I remember a couple of young love romances with my kids. Zach had a little girl on his T-ball team that really liked spending time with him and giving him hugs. When Zoe was six we had a next door neighbor boy (4 yrs) who she liked to play with. One time they were playing Snow White/Spiderman (their own little morphed versions) and he went in to kiss Zoe but LICKED her instead! He licked her on more than one occasion. I think she was flattered but her brother felt sick to his stomach when he learned about it! LOL!

Heather's Moving Castle said...

I just can't see Zoe tolerating being licked on the face now. LOL. And I can see Zach being hugged on. It must be natural for kids to be close in ways some adults are not comfortable with. The way I was parented makes me uncomfortable with physical closeness. It is going to take me some time to get used knowing kids are just being kids...peroid.