Thursday, January 7, 2010

The spanking dilemma

My sister and I have been discussing spanking this week. That is one habit that is hard to break once it is started. I should know. One thing I have learned over the 8 years as a parent is that treating children with the respect and decency is what works. When we hit, they hit. Period. When we yell, they yell. They mirror us. If want a better world we have to start with ourselves first.

Links:
My view of spanking
Spanking is the only way he'll listen


My heart hurts for kids who don't have options. They have to put up and shut up. :O(

Love to all who have made the transition from control parenting to respectful parenting. It can be done.

~Heather
xoxox

2 comments:

Holly said...

I would love to know how you went about changing yourself first, but maybe that's too personal! What are the best things (books, conferences, etc) that you've done to help you overcome certain obstacles in your life to help you become a more peaceful, respectful parent? I'd love to know, because that is the journey I'm on too. For me, though, it's slow going and difficult!

Heather's Moving Castle said...

I will try to write a post about it when I get home. It is going to take a few pages. LOL.