Sunday, December 3, 2006

It's all temporary










Driving around with the kids tonight listening to Christmas music, I had a flash in my mind that I needed to be sure to listen for sirens while driving. I looked in my rear view mirror to check for cars or sirens. A few seconds later a firetruck approach us from behind with its sirens on. I pulled over to let it pass. Holden asked if we could follow it. As we got back on the road I noticed it was stopping by a few police cars. I happened to be on the street my in-laws live on. Earlier I thought we should stop to say hi. The firetruck was in front of their house, but no smoke. Hmmm. I better pull in the driveway, I thought. The kids and I got out to see what was going on. I told the fireman who just came out of the house that this was my in-law's house and if there was something I could do. He made sure I was related and knew them. He told me the news: My father in-law had just passed away. They told me we could go in. My mother in-law was in shock and upset. I called my brother in-law but he walked in the room soon after. I decided since there was nothing I could do I hugged my mother-in law and told them I was sorry and the kids and I went home to hope to talk to Cliff to tell him the news. All the way home I thought about people in my life I had lost and Holden and I talked about what happened. Holden was calm and mature. I knew the news was going to be hard on Cliff. As soon as we walked in the door Cliff called from the house he is staying at while he is working in SD. He said he would get home right away.

This was just another reminder of how important it is for us to shed our stuff and get onto the important things in life. It's another reminder that we are doing the right thing. The only thing we have is each other. The stuff doesn't matter. It's all temporary. Cliff's dad was in his mid-fifties and had health problems. We knew he wasn't well, but didn't think his time would be this soon.

Big hugs to all!

(Photos were taken at the Des Moines Botanical Center. We had fun running around there tonight and listening to live music.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heather, I am so sorry for your family's loss. Losing our parents is one of the most difficult experiences - sending hugs and warm thoughts to you, Cliff, the kids, your mother-in-law and everyone else in your family.

Karen L.

zamozo said...

Oh (((Heather & Cliff))), what sad and sudden news. I'm so sorry for your loss too. Poor Cliff. Sudden, unexpected departures can be extra difficult to get through. I'm sending sympathy and healing wishes too. How odd that you were in the neighborhood and had a feeling something was happening with the firetruck.

Take care.

Heidi Snavley said...

Oh Heather I am so sorry!! HUUGGGSSS!! It is never easy to lose the people we love - peace to your family this week!! So true though that this is all temporary and stuff is just stuff. It is our relationships that should mean the most.

kelli said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father in law.

Hugs to you all.

Heather said...

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law...sending warm thoughts your way...losing someone is always a huge reminder how short our time is here on Earth and the things that really matter aren't "things" but the people in our lives....take care....