Saturday, September 23, 2006

Holden's Butterfly



Holden found this lovely creature in our backyard this morning. It was weak (due to the cooler weather I guess) and content to crawl all over Holden. He flew off a few times but was unable to go very far. This is how Holden was able to get a hold of him so easily. Holden and Camden had a lot of fun watching this butterfly. Holden asked to go show it to his friends and then he let it fly off for good. I am impressed with how gentle Holden is with butterflies and moths. He has a real knack for handling delicate creatures. I'm not sure how he does it! Yesterday Camden found a moth and Holden was showing Camden how to pick it up and how to be gentle with it. Camden doesn't seem to have the natural knack that Holden has. Camden is still pretty rough and a little skittish about moths because they flap their wings a lot and are quite fast.

If anyone happens to know what type of butterfly this is please comment to this post. Thank you!!

2 comments:

zamozo said...

It looks like some kind of a Swallow Tail - Black or Tiger -- look here: http://www.cirrusimage.com/butterfly_photos.htm

Heather's Moving Castle said...

I think you are right about it being a swallow tail. I opened up that link you gave us. Holden lookd at all of them with me and he agreed with you. He said his butterfly had two yellow dots on it's end near the body like one of the Black Swallow Tails in the picture. Thanks for helping us to identify it! I had no idea. I started to try to figure it out on my own. But when I learned by Googling Iowa butterflies that there are 122 native Iowa butterflies, I knew I needed help.

There's a website that you can send a picture of an insect and they can identify it. I didn't want to have to do that. I knew someone who reads my blog would know! Horray! Thanks again for your help!!

So now we'll know when we see another one what type they are. :~)