Monday, August 28, 2006

"On Children"

I had forgfotten about this song until I saw the words on another unschooler's blog. It's very moving. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It gives me chills and helps me to focus on one of the most precious things on earth: "our children." This song makes me want to be kinder and gentler to all children and especially my own: For their souls dwell in a place of tomorrow, which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

"On Children" by Sweet Honey in the Rock
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and the daughters
of lifes longing for itself.
They come through you,
but they are not from you.
And though they are with you,
they belong not to you.
You can give them your love,
but not your thoughts.
They have their own thoughts,
they have their own thoughts.
You can house their bodies,
but not their souls.
For their souls dwell in a place of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit,
not even in your dreams.
You can strive to be like them,
but you cannot make them just like you.
Strive to be like them,
but you cannot make them just like you.


2 comments:

zamozo said...

Wow! That was so cool! I hope you don't mind if I put a link to that on my private blog.

Heather's Moving Castle said...

You don't need to ask me for permission! I could never be offended at anything you do. :~)